- Fire sprinkler main line freezes & ruptures in the attic above the 7th floor
- Water runs for several hours from the 7th floor to the basement
- Iconic 100+ year old building, with diverse construction and materials
- Multiple businesses on each floor impacted, needing to maintain normal operations
- The emergency service call was received at approximately 6:00 am Monday
- CTR management quickly arrived on site to evaluate damages and establish mitigation strategy
- Over 400 pieces of drying equipment were set up and monitored daily
- Coordinated with businesses to facilitate operations during mitigation and restoration
- Restoration of all offices, including flooring, drywall repair, and painting
- Advanced drying techniques and methods dramatically limited reconstruction and loss of use
On a Sunday evening, a sprinkler pipe in the attic of a 7-story commercial building in downtown Boise failed, flooding all seven stories. CTR arrived at the site soon after being notified of the flood, and began identifying affected structure and contents on each floor. Contents were moved from affected areas, and within two days, almost 400 pieces of drying equipment had been strategically placed for effective drying. Within two weeks, the entire structure had been dried, and within four months, all repairs were complete. The customers were highly satisfied with CTR’s performance.
Hospital Severely Impacted by Flooding
- Fire sprinkler main line ruptured in the attic
- Ten rooms were affected, including six patient rooms
- Patients required relocation during clean-up and repair
- Extensive mold from previous water-damage incidents is found
- CTR was on site within 20 minutes of receiving the initial call
- The scope of the loss changed significantly when mold was discovered in almost every room. Containment was set up for each room, and mold treatment protocols were established
- Air quality was tested by an independent company to ensure that air quality met industry standards
- Less than a month after the flooding, the rooms were ready for patients to move back in.
- Due to CTR’s ability to dedicate a large staff to this project from the beginning to the end, business interruption was kept to a minimum
A Boise hospital facility received significant damage due to a failure in the sprinkler system. Six patients had to be relocated. During the initial stages of the water damage investigation, significant mold was discovered related to previous water accidents. Containment of each room was employed, and a mold treatment protocol was established. After completion of drying and mold clean-up, an independent hygienist tested and verified air quality. Less than a month after the initial call to CTR, all repairs were completed, and the rooms were ready for the patients to return.
Upscale Apartments Impacted by Mold
- Over 50 apartment units were impacted by mold due to improper mechanical system installation
- Damages per unit ranged from just the mechanical closet to the entire unit
- Some units had ongoing water damage issues that required remediation
- Some first-floor units had mold in the crawlspace
- In some units, tenants’ personal property tested positive for mold
- The mechanical system required repairs to the impacted units
- CTR was contacted by the owner and met with the property manager on site
- In conjunction with the owner, CTR engaged the services of a local environmental fire professional to perform the interior surface and air test
- Once the mold and water remediation protocols were established, a detailed scope and estimate was provided to the owner, and a contract was signed
- CTR remediated the mold in each unit, based on the indoor environmental professional’s protocol
- CTR remediated the crawl space for all impacted units
- When required by protocol, CTR packed out more than 20 units, and moved the tenants’ personal property to our Boise facility to remediate the mold
- Upon completion of each phase of the project, post-testing was performed to ensure that mold remediation was completed in accordance with industry standards and that the units were ready for occupancy
An upscale apartment complex had a hidden defect in its mechanical system when the units were installed. The defect caused a slow leak that was not visible until mold presented itself in some of the units. CTR contracted with the owner to work through the remediation process after the defect, and related damage was diagnosed.
With the assistance of multiple vendors, and pre- and post-testing by an indoor environmental professional, CTR was able to successfully remediate all affected units and the tenants’ personal property.
Medical Clinic Floods
- A valve in the main water line located in the ceiling failed, causing the water line to separate at a joint.
- Water ran for several hours before it was discovered, affecting 29 rooms.
- Ceiling tiles, drywall, insulation, and flooring were affected.
- Some rooms contained expensive and fragile medical equipment.
- The initial call came in at 10:20 Sunday evening. CTR was on-site by 11:15 pm to assess the damage and develop a mitigation plan.
- By 4:00 am Monday, water had been extracted, contents relocated, expensive equipment covered, debris from ceiling tiles cleaned up, and drying equipment placed.
- For further protection of the optical equipment, containments were set up in selected rooms to keep dust to a minimum during drying.
- Specialty equipment was used to dry cabinets, minimizing time-consuming and expensive demolition and repairs or replacement, and minimizing loss of use.
On Sunday evening, a valve failed in the main water line, located in the ceiling of the clinic, which caused the line to fail in two areas.
Most of the rooms in the clinic were affected. Some contained very expensive equipment. The equipment was protected with plastic coverings and containment in the rooms to keep dust to a minimum while drying. Several built-in cabinets were affected.
Instead of initiating demolition of the cabinets, specialty equipment was used to dry them in place. Within a week the floors, walls, and ceiling had dried. Less than three months later, repairs had been completed and the clinic was able to re-open.
Devastating Fire Strikes Restauraunt
- Electrical fire ignites in kitchen
- Entire kitchen is consumed by fire
- The refrigeration system is substantially damaged by the heat and smoke
- HVAC duct system is contaminated by soot
- Electrical and plumbing systems are damaged, requiring total replacement
CTR’s Caldwell Response:
- On site within one hour of contact, to evaluate the damage with fire inspectors
- Board-up and temporary fencing immediately installed to secure the site
- Detailed project scope and estimate provided to owner, and contract signed
- The demolition process is completed, resulting in gutting the interior and a majority of the roof
- Remainder of affected areas of building surfaces are cleaned with chem-sponges
- HVAC system is replaced and the entire structure is deodorized
- Entire commercial kitchen is rebuilt and the refrigeration system is restored
- Entire restaurant area is rebuilt
- Exterior stucco, painting, and signage is restored
- CTR attends re-opening with local Chamber of Commerce
An electrical fire erupted in the middle of the night, creating substantial damage to the interior and exterior of the restaurant. After the fire was extinguished, CTR met with the owner, fire officials, and investigators to develop a plan to rebuild the restaurant. CTR worked efficiently with all parties to make sure the restaurant could be rebuilt as soon as possible to reduce business interruption.
After the fire investigation was complete and the site secured, CTR immediately began the process of demolition and clean-up, along with planning reconstruction with the owner and local building officials. Within a matter of months, the restaurant was re-opened ahead of schedule, to the satisfaction of the owners and customers. CTR celebrated the grand re-opening with the local Chamber of Commerce.